Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1: My SMART Goal

Over the next ten weeks, I will reduce the amount of meat that I eat, more specifically I will completely eliminate red meat from my diet, secondly I will reduce my overall meat intake to chicken and fish: no more than 2 meals per week that include chicken or fish, starting today 10/6/09. 


I did some research on why becoming a vegetarian is eco chic, and I found many good reasons why everyone should! For example, many rainforests are destroyed in order to make grazing fields for beef cattle (more info here), much grain is shipped from countries over sea to feed our beef cattle and that takes energy to transport and could actually be used for starving people in these countries from which it is shipped, rather than to fatten our cattle. I also found this information from the same site: It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat. If the US meat industry wasn't supported by the taxpayer paying a large proportion of its water costs, then hamburger meat would cost $35 a pound. I found many more interesting facts at Vegan net, including this fact: According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the world's livestock herds are the largest source of human-induced emissions of methane which is a potent greenhouse gas contributing to climate change.
This particular lifestyle change is important to me for several reasons. One of which is because being a vegetarian is environmentally friendly as my explanation above suggests. Additionally, being a vegetarian has many health benefits for my personally. As quoted from a pro-vegetarian website I discovered, avoiding meat is one of the best and simplest ways to cut down your fat consumption. Modern farm animals are deliberately fattened up to increase profits. Eating fatty meat increases your chances of having a heart attack or developing cancer. Personally, the term meat usually makes me cringe; we don't always know what is in our "meat," especially "ground beef."  Also, we can avoid eating as many chemicals if we don't eat meat. For example, I know that cows are injected with loads of chemicals and hormones, it is terrifying that we can sell this poisoned animal as food. 
Overall, this change is something I have been wanting to do for a long time, and have been slowly stepping into; I have all the reason in the world to make the change now!

I thought this comic was funny, its definitely true. 

2 comments:

  1. You make such a compelling argument towards vegetarianism! There are so many good reasons to be a vegetarian, I've often thought of trying it, but I don't want to do it unless I know all of the nutritional information. Is there any reason you would need supplements for anything when you don't eat meat? Seriously, some of those facts you put up are disturbing. How do our tax dollars end up funding the cattle industry? It's just so messed up. Well, very informative and good luck with your goal!

    Oh, and I love the comic! Your blog always has so much personality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I love this comic, its so plain yet says so much. I know so many people that say they are vegetarian but yet I see them eating meat pretty regularly... kinda weird. Most of them just say it to be "special" I feel like. I give props to people who can be a real vegetarian. I don't think I could do it. I love chicken and fish and beef, and I love cooking it to. I am definitely willing to cut down for health reasons, and try to find better sources of it than from corporate farms. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete