Sunday, November 15, 2009

Advocacy Project: Healthy People/THOMAS


My focus for my advocacy project will be on reducing foodborne illness; I am especially interested in this topic because I plan on going into health inspecting/ environmental safety sanitarian eventually after I graduate. 


1.The objective that I believe fits my interests the best is objective 8-29 which is to "Reduce the global burden of disease due to poor water quality, sanitation, and personal and domestic hygiene."


2. Expanding on the objective, according to the progress quotient chart, this target has been met by 161% since 1990. Some emerging issues discussed in this focus area are the fact that clean water issues as well as lack of water in many countries further creates sanitary issues as well, for example, the deterioration of sewer and water systems.  This focus area shows an overall goal of 
"improving the environmental health of people and their communities has positive social and economic benefits."


3. Environmental Health Bill  S.1269  


  Title: A bill to provide for enhanced foodborne illness surveillance and food safety capacity, to establish regional food safety centers of excellence, and for other purposes.
  Sponsor: Senator Amy Klobuchar, [MN] (introduced 6/16/2009) 2 Cosponsors
  Latest Major Action: 6/16/2009 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions. 



.
Recommendation: Vote Yes for Environmental Health Bill  S.1269  
My Political Representative: Senator Amy Klobuchar

2 comments: