Monday, November 30, 2009

Eye Opener: Photo Essay

For my photo essay, I found several great ideas back at home this Thanksgiving weekend, so I decided I would combine them into an eco-chic Thanksgiving theme. Compared to past years, this Thanksgiving turned a new leaf; my parents have been making many eco-chic changes back at the homestead so I figured its time to document this awesomeness!

Decorating was my favorite part. My mom decided we wouldn't spend any money on decorations this year, so my dad and I explored our field and found some natural decorations. My dad is a botanist so we have tons of plants. Dried hydrangea's, berries, pheasant feathers and oak leaves made up 2 of our fall-themed vase decorations (pictured at left).

For other Fall-themed Thanksgiving decorations we lined our windows with wild dried grasses from our fields, and used gourds and mini pumpkins which my parents grew in our garden to hold it down (a much bigger garden than previous years!!). Our last decoration was a center piece I made with more colorful squash, mini pumpkins, and oak leaves, placed in a decorative bowl my mom had (pictured below).



For the meal this year, we had several dishes that came straight from our garden such as squash and mashed potatoes.



My mom also made her famous crunchy cream-corn dish, but this time with our own corn from the garden and eggs from our own chickens! We also had a green bean casserole with beans from our garden.


I also made my apple-banana bread which contained apples from our own apple trees.


We topped the bread with jelly my mom made from our own grapes in my dad's mini vineyard behind the house.

These are just a few of our eco-chic changes back home! Overall, I would say a very successful and tasty Thanksgiving!



2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous, I wish my parents would have a garden, we always use to but then we got a dog that ripped it up. I'll have to get on them about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that your parents have a huge garden! My roommate always comes home from her grandma's with all these delicious canned veggies and fruits. I'm always so jealous! Love your pics!

    ReplyDelete