Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Share and Voice: how do you feel about Coca-Cola?

In class, we watched a video called "Thirst," which I will put in as short of terms as possible: a film about the mistreatment of water and those who deserve to use it. This video brought up an issue involving the Coca-Cola company and how they have plants in developing countries that are using up public water supplies and leaving behind toxic waste, as well as trying to sell coke products back to the community whom would rather just have their water back.
This issue really caught me off guard, I can honestly say I had no idea this was happening.
For this Share and Voice, I decided I wanted to show some claims against the Coca-Cola company, as well as their side and let you be the judge. 


When we see fun loving commercials for coca-cola, who doesn't get a positive feeling?


This is not the case in India.
This next video shows the extreme problems Coca-Cola has created in developing countries such as India. 


I did not know that the sale of Coca-Cola has actually been banned in many cafterias in India because high levels of pesticides containing DDT were found in it. Additionally, piles of toxic waste left behind were found to contain extremely high levels of arsenic as well as lead, causing dangerous health affects to many civilians. 

My final video contains arguments from citizens of India, as well as Coke's defense against many of the accusations. This video is slightly longer, but the epic music makes up for it. ;)


All in all, I am very surprised and disappointed that a powerhouse company like Coca-Cola tries to send off really happy, upbeat messages to their customers, yet at the same time ruin thousands of lives.



4 comments:

  1. Wow, Danielle. That gives us a lot to think about. I was completely unaware of this issue. For soda-drinkers, it provides another significant reason to give up soda once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post very much, and feel like it will make a difference in how I make a decision when choosing a soft drink! :) I gave you an award come pick it up at my blog and read the directions for you to pass it on! GOOD JOB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Danielle! You really spark some interesting issues!

    ReplyDelete