Sunday, October 18, 2009

Share & Voice: idea and experience

When I decided I wanted to start incorporating more vegetarian meals into my diet, it all started when my boyfriend took me on a date to Fitgers in Duluth. We were browsing the mall there and a lady greeted us in an outerwear store. We got to talking and said we were headed to the Fitger's diner for a date, and she got all excited and said "oh! I would suggest trying the wild rice veggie burgers! Even though I'm not a vegetarian, they are amazing." I looked at Michael and cringed a bit. The idea of veggie burgers has always put eerie pictures in my head. So anyways, I got there, and got to thinking, and I decided to let go of those horrible feelings and trust this lady I had just met because I had been wanting to convert to a mostly vegetarian diet. After trying it, I was in awe. How could a burger that doesn't have any "burger" not be completely worthless? Well, apparently you can mock the taste of a burger and its consistency by using wild rice and other veggies...Yes. It's true. I went home and actually looked up their recipe. Which I could not find. I'm sure its a secret, but I was able to guess on most of what was in it, as well as find mock recipes. So, finally Michael and I tried making these beasts and had a little get together with some carnivorous friends who all gave us the thumbs up after trying. (Here is a link to a Sue Redmond's  wild rice burger recipe I found, but I would suggest adding mushrooms and onions on top after you patty up and cook the burgers). This share and voice may seem minuscule compared to some, but for me, it was the first huge step into a diet that I thought would be impossible, and I really wanted to share my positive experience. So, if you or anyone you know, wants to become a vegetarian but just can't seem to make that first move, show them this website (as soon as possible) AND take them to Fitgers (directions here) for a wild rice veggie burger. 
Becoming a vegetarian is very eco-friendly. Seriously. check out the website I have posted above if you haven't (or here). Some of it seems hard to believe, but a lot of the information I found on there, I found on many other sites as well, but this particular website is very straightforward and isn't here to make you feel good about eating cows and "hot dogs" all-American style.

5 comments:

  1. I have seen this on the menu SO MANY times haha! I always get the Spinach and Artichoke Chicken sandwich. I will definitely try the Wild Rice burger next time though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten at Fitger's! Now I have a reason to go! You and Pam must think I'm a shut in! I've never been to the Co-op, 3rd St. Bakery, or Fitger's! I guess I have some weekend activities figured out! Also, Danielle, are you fully vegetarian now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those wild rice veggie burgers are amazing! I also love their portabella mushroom sandwich. Super yum!

    I think it is so cool that you put your bias aside and tried a new food. I also think it's great that you sought out a recipe and made your own. Double wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job for experiencing new things! An award for you on my Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Black Woods on London also has a really good Veggie Burger. Its called Minnesota Wild Rice Patty. I tried it once when I wasn't eating meat and now I get it almost every time I go there even though I am eating meat again!

    ReplyDelete